It’s 9:35 in the morning and you are sitting at your desk staring off into space trying to decide what to do next. It’s a new day and you just can’t get your engine started. Where’s the passion, the fuel to fire you up? What has happened with this job? Why does everything feel like wading through treacle?
Sometimes, we outgrow a job or an organization. We feel we have more to give or we have accomplished what we set out to do and now need a new challenge. It may also be that the environment has changed, the leaders that inspired you have themselves moved on, and it no longer feels like the place that you originally joined. Or it may just be that you are going through a phase. How do you know if you should put your head down and get on with it, or if it really is time for a change? Here are six signs you may be ready to move on:
- You are surfing the net reading articles like this that are helping to confirm what you already know.
- You spend half your day checking out “what’s happening” with everyone else. You go on LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram, distracting yourself from what’s at hand and what you need to do.
- You’re planning what you are having for lunch, your after office happy hour drinks, your weekend and not your current week to do list.
- You can’t stop re-reading the same work document again and again, and still you are not absorbing what it has to say.
- You tell everyone how incredibly busy you are, but in the end you know you are really not being productive and you’re not getting much done.
- The passion is gone.
If you can answer YES to these signs you really should take some time to focus on YOU and think about what makes you tick. Try to understand what has changed in your current situation and what would make it better. If you feel stuck and want to connect with one of our Bedford Jones consultants, we can do a personality questionnaire and help you to see what your strengths are and understand what role is right for you.
Contact us, Bedford Jones would love to help you!